09 March 2006

When the Forms Exhaust Their Variety

(Cross-posted from a Story Games thread about dream games)

A mythopoetic, totemistic cross between JurisFiction and The Matrix, in which you play post-modern punked-out Gaiman-esque personae from classical literature or legends (Scheherazade, the Monkey King, Quetzalcoatl, Don Quixote, Coyote) who hack their way through stories, taking on various roles and playing out bits and pieces of hundreds of different tales, all in an effort to collect various character traits and personality components from the characters whose roles they usurp, constantly reconfiguring themselves in an effort to become the person they most want to be.

I know the first line of the text is going to be "Scheherazade bleeds Baghdad."

The game doesn't currently have a title, but it's been called: Quixote & Coyote, Storypunk, Facedance, and Beneath This Facade. I sometimes think about giving White Wolf the finger and calling it Masquerade, which is probably the most appropriate title.

It is the game I'm not capable of writing yet. Some day.

I have recently considered calling it When the Forms Exhaust Their Variety, a quote from Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities.

4 Comments:

Blogger DevP said...

As I've not really used up my "Mythpunk" imprint yet, I'd be happy to abandon it if you wanted to keep that space available for this.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Walton said...

Heh. I appreciate the offer, but I have the feeling that I'll stumble on a title one day that'll be more than perfect, a message from the gods. Until then, I don't sweat the game not having one.

There is, I guess, the possiblity that I'll just call it "One Thousand One," after my own little imprint.

11:29 AM  
Blogger annie said...

Quixote & Coyote

I lol'd at work. That should be the title for something

6:05 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Walton said...

Annie: There was an old Hannah-Barbara cartoon called Don Coyote. His sidekick was, of course, Sancho Panda.

Jess: My most productive relationships are often with people I regularly feel rather differently from, because of the struggle to understand each other. That's why I enjoy talking to Shreyas so much, for instance. I'm glad we can still communicate regularly, despite being from different planets sometimes (I for instance, am an evil two-headed ex-Forge-denizen :)

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home