04 December 2005

Two Sisters

It's time to get serious again.

The era in which progressive, indie roleplaying was virtually synonymous with The Forge is rapidly coming to an end. The era of The Forge Disapora & Friends begins.

This is the beginning of the end. Make no mistake, traditional hobby roleplaying in the style of Dungeons & Dragons and its successors will continue indefinitely. However, there are multiple offshoots of roleplaying that are quickly becoming something that bears less and less resemblance to D&D, becoming something that may not even be roleplaying.

Roleplaying is great stuff, yes. But what roleplaying is becoming is even more exciting. Personally, I'm going to do everything I can to help this process along. Progress on the first volume of Push continues every day and I'm just itching to begin putting Vesperteen, my first major game, together.

This blog is intended to be an aid and a public record, offering a more personal and focused space than the group blog 20x20 Room, where I post most of my public thoughts. My ideal is something between Vincent's anyway and Shreyas' raven swallows the sun, mixing carefully crafted bits of theory and design with excerpts of creative works in progress. Everything here will be written intentionally. No stream-of-consciousness blogging. Nothing unrelated to roleplaying and its future. If you want that other stuff, read my LiveJournal.

My muses are the two sisters: Scheherazade, the teller of stories, and Dunyazade, who listens. May we all learn to do both better. In a nutshell, that's what this is all about.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mo said...

Hey Jonathan - congrats on your new blog. I think your feed is broken (looks like a broken img link) - fix it so we can keep tabs on ya. ;)

~Mo

1:47 PM  
Blogger Will said...

I'll keep my eyes peeled. I know I'm old school but I'm a good listener and I DO like new ideas.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Walton said...

Mo, the feed still works, despite what the title looks like. Shreyas and I both can't figure out how to change it from that html (which isn't broken, btw, it's just not displaying because LJ code doesn't let it), but we're hoping it might fix itself in a couple days. We'll see.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home